Our Viral Buckwheat Bread
Earlier this week our founder, Rhian, posted about her latest obsession - our gluten-free, Buckwheat, Quinoa and Oat Bread. Needless to say, this video quickly went viral, hitting over 475k views. We love this bread because it's so quick and easy to make, and is way more nutrient-dense than your average loaf (read: more protein, more fibre, more satiating). Soaking the grains overnight improves mineral availability and makes them easier to digest, so this is a great recipe if you find bread a little hard on your stomach. Some of our favourite ways to eat it include topping it with avocado and smoked salmon or with peanut butter and smashed berries to satisfy sweet cravings.
Buckwheat, Quinoa + Oat Loaf
- 100g (1/2 cup) quinoa, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 150g (1 cup) buckwheat, soaked for 4 hours or overnight
- 100g (1 cup) gluten free jumbo oats
- 200-250g (3/4 - 1 cup) water
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds, to sprinkle
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Line a small baking tin with parchment, roughly 8cm by 11cm.
2. Drain and rinse the quinoa and buckwheat. Place in a food processor with the oats, water, flax, pumpkin seeds, baking powder, apple cider vinegar, oil and salt and pulse to bring the mix together. A bit of texture is fine. Add more water if it seems too dry.
3. Pour into your prepared loaf and bake for about 75 minutes or until the sides have pulled away from the parchment. Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.
Because this loaf is easier on the digestive system than your traditional supermarket bread, it's a firm favourite amongst those who are gluten sensitive, struggle with IBS, or are working on better blood sugar control. For supplement support, try our award winning probiotic and digestive enzyme complex, Enhanced Synbiotic for a sensitive gut, or our powerful Metabolic Fix, which is packed with Berberine, L-Carnitine and Chromium, for metabolic support.
For more gut-friendly, low-sugar, anti-inflammatory recipe inspiration, explore our nutrition programmes below.