3 Summer Salads We're Loving
Summer is salad season, which is why we’re bringing you our three favourite salads of the moment.
Bursting with vibrant colours, seasonal fruit and veg and unique flavours, each salad promises to be the perfect companion for your lunches, summer cookouts, and dinner parties.
Breakfast Salad With Avocado and Crispy Kale, From The Metabolic Reset
Ingredients for the salad:2 handfuls kale, woody stems removed and roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
4 handfuls mixed salad leaves
1 cucumber, roughly chopped up
3 handfuls garden peas, thawed
1-2 avocados, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped, depending on their size
1 small jar chickpeas, drained OR 2 eggs, hardboiled
2 tbsp mixed seeds
Ingredients for the lemon cleanse dressing:
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C.
- Toss the kale with the oil and salt and bake for 6-7 minutes until crispy. Set aside. If using eggs, boil them whilst the kale is cooking.
- Combine the mixed leaves, cucumber, peas, avocado and chickpeas or eggs in a bowl and toss them together.
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a clean jam jar with the lid firmly attached and shake vigorously. Set aside. Extra dressing will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Split the salad evenly over two plates and top with the crispy kale.
- Drizzle over some Artah Lemon ‘cleanse’ dressing and serve with some mixed seeds.
Mackerel Salad with Beetroot, Walnut and Watercress, From The Nutrition for Fertility and Pregnancy Guide
2 handfuls watercress, washed and ready to eat
2 beetroots, cooked and ready to eat*, roughly chopped
Small handful dill, roughly chopped
2 tsp grated horseradish
2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped, optional
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 smoked mackerel fillets
2 tbsp walnuts, roughly chopped
3-4 tbsp ARTAH lemon cleanse dressing (see above)
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Shock the eggs by dunking them in the boiling water and quickly removing them with a spoon. Gently drop them back into the boiling water for a further 6 minutes for soft, runny eggs. Add the green beans for the last minute.
- Drain and run under cold water. Peel the eggs once cool enough to handle and cut them into quarters.
- In a small bowl toss together the watercress, beetroot, dill, horseradish, capers and cracked black pepper.
- Divide amongst two plates and flake over the mackerel fillets. Top with the eggs.
- Finish with the walnuts and a generous drizzle of lemon cleanse dressing.
- You can buy vacuum-packed pre-cooked beetroot from most high street supermarkets. Reserve the rest for another recipe.
Avocado, Tomato and Grilled Peach Salad, From The 28-Day Reset
1 handful of mixed tomatoes or about 3 medium-sized
1 large, ripe peach or nectarine, cut into eighths
1 ripe avocado, sliced
½ cup quinoa
½ head lettuce or 1 handful of lettuce per person
1 spring onion, sliced
6 basil leaves
2 tbsp fresh mint
1½ tbsp olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the packet. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Slice the peach and brush each side with a scant amount of olive oil. Preheat a skillet pan and cook for one minute on each side and then transfer to your salad bowl. If you don’t have a skillet just use a non-stick pan.
- Slice the tomatoes and chop the basil, mint and spring onion. Once the quinoa is lukewarm, combine everything together and gently toss. Add the avocado and a generous amount of salt, fresh black pepper, and some fresh lemon and lime.
- Top with the remaining olive oil and enjoy immediately.